Vintage Yamaha AES1200 Hollow Body Archtop Electric Guitar Made in Japan 1986
• Hand Crafted in Japan
• Solid carved Spruce top
• Ebony Fingerboard
• Pearloid Inlays
• Gold Plated Hardware
• Yamaha Humbucking pickups with Coil Tapping Function
• New Volume and Tone Pots
• New Pickup Selector Switch
• Ebony Bridge
• Original Yamaha Tuners
• Original Yamaha AE1200S Hard Shell Case
• Pro-SCM setup with 11 gauge flat wound strings
• Original purchase receipt included
This Yamaha AE1200S Hollow Body Archtop Guitar was purchased new in 1986 from Pro Audio Supplies in Canberra. Due to an ongoing health issue, the original owner – now in his late 70’s has engaged us to sell this beautiful guitar on his behalf. The original purchase receipts are also included.
The lacquer is in excellent condition with barely a scratch and it’s hard to believe that this guitar is more than 34 years old.
The hardware is the only clue to the age of this guitar with some tarnishing evident on the tailpiece. The original pickups were heavily tarnished and we have replaced them with new SA2200 units sourced from Yamaha Music Australia. The original pickups are also included. The pots and three-way pickup selector switch have also been replaced as has the pickguard mounting bracket. From the overall condition of this instrument, it would appear that the tarnishing has occurred as a result of the owner’s skin reacting with the metal which is not uncommon.
The guitar has also undergone a full Pro-SCM setup including dressing, crowning and polishing the frets. The fret ends have also been hand rolled and the slim neck feels absolutely superb. The action is low and the tone is sweet.
In my role as National Sales Manager for Yamaha Music Australia I had the good fortune to get to know the late Jazz Guitar legend, Ike Isaacs. I recall in one of our many discussions, Ike lamented leaving his Yamaha AE1200S in the UK when he moved to Australia. Ike played an ES-175 when I met him and he told me that if I could find another AE1200S, he would gladly swap his ES for it. Not that there was anything wrong with his Gibson but he said that the Yamaha was a more versatile guitar – and he loved the neck. By the time I met Ike, the AE1200S had been discontinued by Yamaha and there were none to be had – new or secondhand.
This is a unique opportunity to buy a fabulous hollow body jazz box.
You will need to call ahead to make an appointment to view this instrument.
• Country of Origin: Japan
• Year of Manufacture: 1986
• Serial Number: TBA
• Model: AE1200S
• Body Style: Full Hollow Body Archtop
• Top Material: Solid Spruce
• Body Material: Beech & Birch
• Binding: Multi-ply Binding on Body, Neck, Headstock Pick Guard. Single Ply Binding on F-holes
• Colour: Antique Stain
• Finish: Gloss
• Neck Material: Maple
• Fingerboard Material: Ebony
• Fretboard Position Markers: Black Dots (side), Split Perloid Blocks on Fretboard
• Body/Neck Construction: Set Neck
• Length: 42.24″
• Width: 16.92″
• Body Depth: 3.41″
• Scale Length: 25.19″
• Number of Frets: 20
• Fingerboard Width: 1.69″-2.18″
• Neck Thickness: 0.57″-.066″
• Hardware: Gold Plated
• Nut Material: Bone
• Bridge: Height Adjustable Ebony
• Pickups: 2 x Yamaha Covered Humbucking Alnico
• Electronics: 3-way Pickup Selector Switch, 2 Volume, 2 Tone with Coil Tap
• Case: Original Yamaha Hardshell Case
• Setup: Pro-SCM professional setup
• Strings: 11 Gauge Flat Wound Strings