Korg Volca FM Digital Synthesizer with Sequencer VOLCAFM Synth
The Korg Volca FM synthesizer module is like a portable version of the legendary DX7 FM synth — it can even accept original DX7 patch data! And the sound engine is exactly what youd expect from that classic FM synth: six operators are ready to create clanging metallic tones, ripping leads, subsonic basses, and all manner of special effects.
The built-in 16-step sequencer with Motion Sequence allows you to record knob twists as well as note data for more sonic animation. Twist your patterns with Warp Active Step, Pattern Chain, or with the Arpeggiator, and use the lush onboard chorus effect to add shimmer to your sounds. Whether you perform live or produce electronic music in your studio, theres a lot of sonic potential in the Korg Volca FM.
Easier to program than a vintage DX7
The classic FM synthesizer that electronic musicians know and love is the Yamaha DX7, and its just as famous for being difficult to program as it is for its iconic sound. The Korg Volca FM packs the same sound engine based around six operators, and its streamlined control set makes it much easier to program your own sounds from scratch. From percussion and effects to Reese bass and more, you can dial in classic FM synth sounds and save 32 of your favorites for instant recall. On top of that, Korg includes a Parameter List Guide you can reference as you learn your way around.
Tap into three decades of FM sound design
The original DX7 played a big role in shaping the sound of the 80s Michael Jacksons “Bad,” Kenny Loggins “Danger Zone,” and Tina Turners “Whats Love Got to Do with It,” among countless others. It says a lot that over 30 years later diehard DX7 fans are still creating new sounds and sonic textures with the original DX7. The Korg Volca FM allows you to share DX7 patches via SYS-EX/SYS files.
There are countless patches available online, so youll never run out of sounds to play or tweak. Getting patches out of your Volca FM is just a matter of writing down your settings (theres no MIDI out). However, if youre like many of the lifelong keyboard players here at Sweetwater and still rock a DX7, then its totally worth the effort. Theres nothing like using your Volca FM to craft new patches on your lunch break and bringing them back to the studio in the evening.
Power options provide portable creativity
Like the rest of the Volca series, Korgs Volca FM is designed to run for hours off six AA batteries. That makes it ideal for laying down grooves at the coffee shop or throwing down for impromptu tabletop sessions. Theres even a mini speaker onboard, so you can ditch the headphones and share the fun.
- A super-portable FM synthesizer module based on the legendary DX7 archetecture
- True DX7-style synth engine includes 6 operators and 32 algorithms for extensive sound design options
- Supports original DX7 patch data, which you can upload via SYS-EX/SYS MIDI files (requires DX7 or MIDI interface)
- Save 32 of your own sounds and 16 sequence patterns for instant recall
- Loaded with 9 arpeggiator types (3 rise, 3 fall, and 3 random) that let you add energy and motion to your sounds
- Poly, Mono, and Unison voice modes give allow you to dial in a wide range of different sound types
- Built-in chorus effect provides a simple way to add shimmer and shine to your favorite patches
- Tweak your patterns on the fly with Motion Sequence, Active Step, Warp Active Step, and Pattern Chain controls
- Type: FM Synth with Sequencer
- Polyphony: 3
- Presets: 32 Programs, 16 Sequence Patterns
- Effects Types: Chorus
- Arpeggiator: Yes, 9 types
- Sequencer: 16-step, 16 recording patterns
- Analog Inputs: 1 x 1/8″ (sync)
- Analog Outputs: 1 x 1/8″ (sync) 1 x 1/8″ (headphones)
- MIDI I/O: In
- Power Supply: 6 x AA Alkaline or KA-350 AC Adapter (not included)
- Height: 1.57″
- Width: 7.60″
- Depth: 4.53″
- Weight: 12.70 oz.
- Manufacturer Part Number: VOLCA FM