GRETSCH JET G6131-MY Malcolm Young Signature Jet Electric Guitar
• “DIY” pickup routes with simulated screw holes
• Chrome switch plugs
• TV Jones® Power’Tron™ bridge pickup
• Double-cutaway chambered mahogany body with maple top
• Aged-white binding
• Bound ebony fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets and Neo-Classic™ thumbnails
• Gretsch® ’60s Jet™ tailpiece
• Space-Control™ bridge, bone nut and Schaller® die-cast tuners
• Aged Natural stain with black back and sides
• Thin-skin semi-gloss finish for a true “tour-worn” feel
Malcolm Young is to this day regarded as one of rock’s greatest ever rhythm guitarits whose rock-solid rhythm guitar riffage provided the unshakeable foundation for monumental rock titans AC/DC. “I mean, as soon as you hear that first… chord, you know it’s him,” said his brother Angus Young. “To do this… you have to be a master of rhythm, and that’s exactly what Mal was.”
Sadly, Malcolm Young – the guitarist and songwriter who helped found the Australian rock band AC/DC, died in 2017.
Gretsch has honoured this legend of rock with the limited edition G6131-MY Malcolm Young Signature Jet™ electric guitar.
This guitar has a provenance worthy of a book! Shortly after the Young family arrived in Australia from Scotland, older brother George met Dutch immigrant Harry Vanda and together they formed the group The Easybeats who would go on to enjoy some international success in the late sixties. While one tour in the USA, Harry Vanda bought a red Gretsch G6131 Jet Firebird guitar.
By the early 70s The Easybeats had ended. George Young and Harry Vanda found a new niche as songwriters and record producers. Vanda gave his red Gretsch to Malcom who along with younger brother Angus had just formed a band named AC/DC, a name they got from a sticker on the back of their sister’s sewing machine. The rest, as they say – is history.
Paying homage to Malcolm’s famously battle-hardened and much modified Gretsch Jet nicknamed “The Beast,” his signature model guitar features the essential hallmarks of one of rock’s most iconic instruments.
The “DIY” pickup routes with simulated screw holes, chrome switch plugs, Space-Control™ bridge and ‘60s-style tailpiece all echo Malcolm Young’s own instrument. Open-cavity thunder roars from the thin-skin satin finished chambered mahogany body and is magnified by a high-output TV Jones® Power’Tron™ pickup.
Malcolm Young’s fiery rock ‘n’ roll spirit lives on through AC/DC’s enduringly timeless music, and it is Gretsch’s great privilege to pay fitting tribute to him with a finely crafted instrument bearing his name.
Gretsch G6131-MY Malcolm Young Signature Jet Electric guitar
• Natural Semi-gloss finish
• Faithful recreation of the “Beast” aesthetic
• Maple top
• Double-cutaway chambered mahogany body
• Aged-white binding
• Mahogany neck, semi-gloss finish
• Standard “U” neck shape
• Ebony fingerboard with binding
• Neo-Classic thumbnail fingerboard inlays
• 12″ fingerboard radius
• 22 jumbo frets
• Schaller Die-Cast tuners
• Ebony bridge base
• Open-cavity route
• Chrome electronics “plugs”
• Gretsch 60s-style Jet tailpiece
• Space-Control bridge
• 1 x TV Jones PowerTron pickup
• Volume 1, Master Vol, Master Tone
• Hard Case
• weight: 3,18 kg
• PRO-SCM Setup